Sunday, April 19, 2020

Our Trip to Virginia: Part 3

On Sunday after church we took naps and then drove out to the see the Washington DC temple, which unfortunately was closed for some major remodeling, so this is as close and we got. We also had some picture taken of the whole family by one of the missionaries but it somehow got erased off Luke's phone, I'm pretty sad about that. But the kids enjoyed the visitor center and I was happy to get to see my favorite temple again.

On Monday we went to the National Zoo, it was a lot of fun! We watched a baby and mama orangutan for quite awhile, they were hilarious! We had a gorilla get mad and throw a stick at us (and all the people watching). And we heard a lion roar!





Someone must have been speaking Parcel Tongue to this snake because he was trying to climb the glass.

Dash and I waiting outside while the others went in the small mammal house.

I love this picture so much! Especially every time I look at Liam, haha, probably my favorite of him!

The kids were excited to see the giant panda who was nice enough to come out and walk around for us.



I love the red pandas.

Another funny one!

The black bear came out too!





Then we went back downtown to the National Archives to see the Declaration of Independence and some other cool things.


Spencer and Mayra's family had planned a trip to New York so they were gone Friday-Monday but once they got back we spent all our time with them, to my kids' relief - especially Dash. He quickly tired of going places and just wanted to "stay home and play with cousins".

So Tuesday we hung out, went and saw a movie and then drove up to Harper's Ferry, West Virginia. I remembered going to the cute little town as a kid, but not much about it and they had never been so it was a lot of fun. It is where the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers meet and merge. It was beautiful!

Livvy wanted a jumping shot, haha!


Anna and Gabrie exploring























The next day we were all a little tired of driving so we just hung out, played games, got lunch, and the girls went roller skating. That night the adults and Ally went out to dinner.


Everyone looking at a different screen, hahaha!

On our last day we drove a couple hours to Luray Caverns, another place I had been when I was little.
First the kids ate their lunches in the car.



Since the caverns are all under ground it was hard to get good pictures but something is better than nothing!



















Next to the caverns there was a hedge maze we tried out. It was the kids verses the adults and Dash.








Then it was back to Spencer's house to pack and get ready to leave at 3 in the morning to catch our flight home.
Luke had gotten a new drivers license prior to going on our trip but hadn't been sent the new card yet. Well, we learned when we were leaving Salt Lake that a temporary drivers license doesn't work as proof of ID at an airport! He was taken aside and had to unpack all of his things. It was pretty stressful and the airport employees were not nice. So we prepared to have the same thing happen when we left DC and it did to a degree but the airport employees were much nicer and understanding, so I took pictures as they frisked him. Hahaha!




It was an amazing trip! Something I have drempt about doing over the past 25 years! I just wish I could have brought my parents and siblings to be there with me! After 10 days I still wasn't ready to go home, there was so much more we could have seen and done. I hope my kids remember it with happy memories!

Dash on the ride home from the airport.

No comments: