Sunday, April 19, 2020

Our Trip to Virginia: Part 2

On Saturday we finally drove to Burke! I was so excited and the closer we got I started seeing things I remembered or seemed familiar, like these street signs for Burke Lake Rd and Fairfax County Parkway.

When we pulled into my old neighborhood and up to my childhood home I couldn't hold back all the emotions! Seeing my kids in front of my house and playing where I had played when I was their ages was crazy and awesome and something I wasn't sure would ever happen.


The backyard - It looked sooo different, there used to be over 30 trees back here!


"The Black Path"
This path has a lot of memories for me and my siblings! It is how we would walk to elementary school and to play in "the woods".


The back of the elementary school








"The Pit"
I spent many winters sledding here at "the pit".

"The Woods" and "The Creek"
We had a great time walking through and exploring, but the humidity was a lot that day!

Daddy helping the boys cross the creek on a log.





Gabrie was in heaven!

"The Pool"
I spent the majority of my summers at this pool, we would walk to it and swim, and then walk through the "hidden path" to 7-11, which is now closed by a fence.

Lake Braddock Secondary School
All of my siblings went to this school and everyone graduated from there except Miriam and I. One of the things I was most upset about when we moved to Utah was that I would never get to go to Lake Braddock! I had watched everyone else go and couldn't wait until it was my turn! I even made myself my own LB sweatshirt in 6th grade! (And then proceed to wear on field trip to the Capitol Building and Congress which my teacher did not appreciate or think it was a cool as I thought it was....)
Posing on the Bruin

And it's cubs





Burke Lake Park
We stopped by Safeway (the grocery store we used to go to) and picked up some stuff for a picnic lunch at Burke Lake Park. Everyone enjoyed feeding the geese who were quite aggressive and one even chased Liam.






Being there with all the beautiful and peaceful scenery and having fun, plus the memories I already had of it, I think it has become my new "happy place". It was probably my favorite part of the trip.

After our picnic we drove over to the part of the park where the carousel and train were, unfortunately the ice cream shop was not open.





Next we drove to my old church, that looked exactly like I remembered it!


Then we drove out to Old Town Alexandria to check it out. It was a Saturday night so it was a fun place to be with lots of people and things going on. 

On the shore of the Potomac River at Old Town Alexandria









There was this cool art exhibit with all these different colored mirror panels so we all took a picture with our favorite color, or colors for some people, haha!
















We really liked this area right at the end of Kings Street with some turf and swings and things to play on.


We walked up and down Kings Street and got ice cream where we were told it was "the best".



No comments: